Many myths have sprung up over the years about root canal treatment. Some think that it’s a very complicated procedure, and there are dental clinics that refer their patients to specialists who can perform this procedure. Many also believe that a root canal is very painful.
But here in our clinic in Boynton Beach, it’s actually considered a routine procedure. And when you choose ICP Dental Group to perform your root canal treatment, you won’t feel any pain at all.
What Is It?
A root canal treatment is necessary when the pulp of your teeth is infected due to decay or injury. The treatment goes into the tooth to remove all the infection and then we clean the root meticulously and then fill it up so that it doesn’t get infected again.
If this isn’t done, the infection in the pulp may spread throughout the root canal system of the tooth. This leads to an abscess, which is an inflamed area where pus builds up and causes the tissues around the tooth to swell. Symptoms range from dull pain to a severe ache, and when you bite, the affected tooth may be tender. Without the root canal treatment, you’ll eventually need to get the tooth extracted.
Do You Need a Root Canal Treatment?
That depends. We would really need to see you and check your teeth to be certain. However, there are certain symptoms you can watch out for which may indicate a need for root canal:
- You may feel a sharp pain when you bite down on your food. There are a few possible reasons for this, and one of them is that there is damage to your pulp tissue. If that’s the case, then you need root canal treatment to clean out the damaged pulp and to seal the remaining space.
- When you eat cold or hot dishes, you experience a lingering pain that lasts more than half a minute. The most likely reason for this is that decay or trauma has seriously damaged the tooth’s pulp. With root canal treatment, we may still be able to save the tooth.
- You have a constant and severe pain in your tooth, accompanied by swollen and sensitive gums. You may need to take some over the counter medications for the pain but you should see us so we can evaluate your tooth’s condition.
- There’s a severe and chronic pain and pressure in your upper teeth and jaw. This may be caused by teeth grinding or by a sinus headache. But if it is severe and chronic, then we need to evaluate it.
- Even if there is no pain, if your tooth has become darker in color, it usually means the nerve of the tooth is dying or already dead. Root canal treatment will then be necessary.
Schedule Your Root Canal Appointment Today
If you notice any of these symptoms, call us right away at (561) 734-0505 . Here at ICP Dental Group, we believe in preserving our patient’s natural teeth as much as possible. And with root canal treatment, we can get rid of the pain and even save your tooth in the process.